ICANN needs to take action against "Tamil Canadian"

So called Sri Lanka Army Site : http://www.srilankanarmy.com/


Just after I put up my previous post (Appointment of a Sri Lankan to the ICANN) I received an Email regarding a Sri Lankan Army web site.

I say now is this how the LTTE and their supporter’s are going to dish out mud against the GoSL and it's troops?

a) It's illegal in my knowledge to allow such a false front to operate..
b) Unethical. Not that they care.

Yes, if you haven't taken a look at the site, it's a nice little front of the Tamil Canadians. Click on any link and it directs to their site. There is absolutely nothing on the site. Except a bunch of links that lead back to Tamil Canadian. This site falsely guides people into the site thinking it's the SL Army site.

Sooner with more traffic to the site (which I have helped by posting their link) it’ll end up at the top of a Google Search.

I hope the Govt, and the ICANN with it's new Sri Lankan member will look into this. It's pretty obvious to any one.

For those of you who are wondering about the actually Army Site it's : http://www.army.lk/

I wrote to both the "Feedback" on the site and to Veri-Sign the dude's operating the .com Domains. I hope they will take some kind of notice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a) if that site offends you quite so much, might I suggest using nofollow as an attribute to the link. Or simply, you know ... not have an anchored link at all?

b) I don't agree with your argument that it's upto the Sri Lankan member of ICANN to do anything. I hope he wasn't elected/appointed as the token Sri Lankan, but because he can do the job best. Why should he favour a Sri Lankan issue?

By the way, if you started a site called thesrilankanarmy.com (or slarmy.org or any other combination you can think of) and said only good things about the army, would that be better or worse? or the same thing? If you said better; then you only disagree with the content on the site, right? The webmasters don't seem to represent themselves as an official site of the SL Army in any way so I really can't see a case building (but then, I'm not a lawyer)

In my view, if you want army.lk to turn up higher on the search results, then stop linking to those dodgy sites and ask your friends to link to army.lk ... problem solved? (look at this search. Maybe the Army doesn't need our help just yet ;)

PS: I haven't mentioned that domain name even once yet. From what I understand of the internet, when people stop talking about it, it goes away :)

Anonymous said...

What drac suggests is quite true. Don't allow this site to caught up by media and create a big hype.Ignore it and it will slowly disappear.

Anyway we Sri Lankans not seem to pay much attention in covering against domain frauds.

Sam said...

JVP have better propaganda than SL Army. So no wonder those type of thing happen.
But something like that does not need to go to ICANN.
If GOSL want, they can simply shut down this using the common law of the country this site is hosted.

Canadians can run any web site and get young Tamils in Sri Lanka to kill themselves behalf of them. They can enjoy the game as much as they want as long as it is not their kids who kill themselves. There have all the rights enjoy Tamil people’s death and talk about it over coffee table.

By law there are limitations to the names can acquired by a natural person. That mean I or my company (a company can be a natural person too most of the time) can’t name my self ‘Sri Lankan Government’ or 'The goverment of United State'.

This site is hosted at Scottsdale, Arizona, US (waking distance form Arizona air port) – so this is under the US law.
Even microsowsoft.com shut down by Microsoft.

Chaar~Max said...

The point is that whether talk about good or bad side of the Sri Lankan Army, they cant host a Web Site with the above domain. I'm pretty sure it's against the law. Just like Sam said, Microsoft shutdown similar sites. Why? It was misleading the public, just like "citibank" and "citybank" sites.

I dont have anything against people accusing the Army of whatever, on their own sides. In other words, if the TamilCanadian site accused the Army of whatever means, it's no problem, people who visit the site will know what there getting into. Just like people know how to trust the information they see on T@milNet.

I know it's unfair to expect the Sri Lanka to be biased against his country. He wasn't appointed for that. I was just a bit pissed at the time and it was my opinion.