Isn't it Ironic?


"A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic... Don't you think?"



In order for you guys to get any sense out of this post, I'd have to explain a bit of what I do. So go ahead take notes.

Some of you would have already figured out I work in some IT company. That's a head start. My company is one of the few companies who sets up Broadband Internet for Hotels. Our main competitor is an Indian Company operating here. Anyways this starts of with one of existing Hotels wanting more from the system. Myself and my Senior colleague spent over an hour debating with the Hotel's IT Manager (who still doesn't seem to understand how our system operates) about certain reports he wants. We were explaining to him, we simply cant provide them as they are not available in the current system, and got into a long drawn out argument about "Company Policy".

After that we come back, our General Manager is complaining that he's home internet is not working. We've set up an SLT Dial Up on card because the guy hardly has any use of it. So I take his username and check it out on the SLT Site and I get "Account Expired", and no place to recharge the card. So I go through the SLT F.A.Q. and is says can do so. So I call up, and wait on hold for like 10-15 mins and get through to a lady who says you cant Recharge after it's expired.

Obviously pissed off I say go through your F.A.Q's. And she explains that if the card balance is over they can recharge it, but if the duration has expired, they cant do anything about it. Which makes perfect sense, but the wording on F.A.Q suggest otherwise.

Anyways I push her to the bone, and speak to her Supervisor and Manager and all, to get something impossible done. Why? Coz, if I create a new account for my G.M. that means I need to go all the way to Wattala to re-configure it. (Yes, he cant do it on his own). When all of a sudden it hits me, hell these guys are just like me, it's their company policy, the system is set in that way. So I just give up, thank the lady for a patience.

Isn't it Ironic? How you don't want to change your policy, but go all out to change some one else's?

1 comments:

Sam said...

This is a good way to look at the world.. Specially after marriage... It can and it will definitely increase your level of happiness ~ At least it will walk you through all little frustrations we face everyday.

By the way.. The song.. Yes. Very good lyrics if one understand the meaning behind it.