Software Freedom Day - Tomorrow

What is Software Freedom Day ?

One of my friends asked me whether it's a day we can use Microsoft for free? he he.. Sadly not. Microsoft believes that it has done enough service to the World by developing their "Wonderful Software" and charging exorbitant amounts for their licenses is only justifying the efforts put in by their developers. And more importantly free software is not about being Free to purchase, but the “Freedom” to use.

"Software Freedom Day is a global, grassroots effort to educate the public about the virtues and availability of Free and Open Source Software. Local teams from all over the world are organizing events on 16 September 2006."
Source - http://softwarefreedomday.org/FrontPage


So the Sri Lankan Team has planned a bunch of activities I'm told. I've taken a copy of their invitation and put it here, so you guys can drop into any one of their locations and get a better understanding of what "Linux" is, and more importantly what it can do for you. I'm not asking you guys to switch. But atleast be aware of the choices out there. Linux has come far, from the days of being the Operating System for "Hackers" who work, typing nothing but Text Commands on a Green Terminal Screen.

On my account I will try my level best to drop into atleast one location, besides the jumble of work I've planned/got for tomorrow. Good Luck Guys!

0 comments: