Thomians learn a new word at Roy-Tho Rugby Encounter

This Saturday saw the Thomians adding a new word to their Vocabulary. A-N-N-I-H-I-L-A-T-I-O-N! 35-0 (The letters and numbers were brought to you by the Rampaging Royalists - 'Sesame Street Style') This was after they learnt M-A-S-S-A-C-R-E during Zulki’s year where the Thomians were massacred for 38-nil. Thomians have been getting a right Royal bashing consistently with the exception of last year, so much so that, at the end of the game it was just another ‘walk in the park’ both to the Royal Team and it’s supporters.

The view from the 100 buck stadium was as good as the Grand Stand, as the turn out on wasn’t as packed as the Bradby the previous week. The very mobile “takarang” had been taken away, and the spectators were exposed to direct sunlight. Not that I cared, but one of my friends had issues with the possible alteration of his complexion. Not that he (yes I’m talking about a guy.. surprise! surprise!) could get any darker.

Now to the match proper. Well there’s nothing much I can add as expert comments, except for the fact that the Thomians played pretty badly, didn’t seem to combine as a team, and in my opinion didn’t have any determination or enthusiasm to make something out of it. Why? I saw some of those dude’s laughing away while they were getting thrashed to bits. No I’m not talking about the Thomian Spectators, but the members on the team, I specially spotted a young winger “All Smiles”, I’m not sure whether this was the chap that was supposed to “run circles” around our line, but he seem to be smiling at the few women folk in the Stand.

For those of you who missed the match the Royal team drove in 7 tries, with the Help of some lovely drives from the front row, and a brilliant charge down off a “get out of jail” kick to score tries. What was interesting was the fact that the regular place kicker “Hassen” was rested and all the kicks were taken from the bloke playing full back, which was much to be desired. I’m not sure about the thinking behind the coach’s move to rest the dude, but we found out one thing. Our full-back can’t kick for toffees, and I’m not talking about 40 meter penalties, this was under the post stuff. So much so that, the team hardly wasted time on bring out the “tee”, and let him try “Drop kicking” which wasn’t any help either. I certainly hope the usual kicker is not injured; on the day (Bradby 2nd Leg) as it’ll be an absolute disaster.

Ending on a hopeful note, I got to say that even though Thomians were crap, our boys played much better Rugby than what we saw the previous week. Therefore lets hope that the we’ll get a chance to be on the dishing out end, rather than the receiving end at the Lion’s Den, although a 10 point lead is hard to catch up, a keenly fought, evenly contested match maybe on our hands.

Over to you Sophist, for your expert comments, till then you can read the Sunday Observer Article.


UPDATE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now thats what i'm talking about!

hmm how does that song go again....

St. Thomas parripu, maliya kadde sereppu :-)

All in the good spirit of the game of course.. some of my best friends are thomians.

Good to see the school kicking it up, so to speak.

SpectralCentroid said...

Hmmm.. Thomians are known for their "giving" habits, so maybe you ARE right. But I guess they should stick to "giving" what they "give" best and try to put up a better game on field...

Chaar~Max said...

Ooo did I hurt a Thomians feelins? I'm so sovvy dude. I'll inform future players, to go easy on you'll. he he.

BTW : Last year was an exception dude. No matter how crappy a side we have, we manage to beat you guys, pretty consistetnly. Just like we've been beating Peter's with the exception of the same year's team. Specially when the Pete's go on to be League Champions (no I'm not talking about this year, about previous years), they've always found Royal a tough nut to crack.

Centroid : Right on bro!!

Anyways, I wouldn't know about our team's strength come Haymen, maybe Shanaka would shed some light on the Thora side. There's only one way to find out whether Last year was an Upset or a shift in Tides. :)

All in Good spirit Homians... oops.. Thomians I meant. :)

Anonymous said...

paka